Beef Rendang is a popular curry dish served in Indonesia. It is made by slow cooking beef in coconut milk and flavoring with lemongrass, cinnamon, chilies, and more. The flavor profile of this dish is complex and it is 1 of the earth’south favorite foods! Follow the instructions to brand it at home.
“Hello Reader! I endeavor my hardest to inquiry recipes equally all-time as I can earlier posting to ensure I am representing each culture correctly. If this recipe is from your country and I have made a error or you have suggestions for how to make information technology more authentic, I would love to hear! Please go out a annotate below letting me know what should be different, and I will rework the recipe. It is always my intention to pay homage and respect to each cultural dish that I melt. Thanks for reading!”
Beef Rendang is one of the nearly popular dishes in Indonesia, and for good reason! It is considered a “dry” beef curry considering the liquid is cooked out of the sauce until all of the flavors solidify and attach to the beef.
When you hear dry curry, though, don’t be scared away! Though this is not a saucy dish, this Indonesian Beef Stew is and so tender and
flavorful. This dish has a long cooking time which leads to ultra flavorful beef. In add-on to that, there are plenty of unique and fresh ingredients that contribute to the success of this delicious food.
In fact, Beefiness Rendang is loved by and then many that it topped the list (that’s right, #1!) of CNN’s World’south 50 Best Foods in 2011. It is a peachy dish to brand for a special occasion or even as a comfort nutrient diner. Try making this dish at home to encounter what all the fuss is nearly!
Why Brand this Recipe
“Travel” to Indonesia:
If you lot want to experience the flavors and tastes of Republic of indonesia, this is a great style to do so!
I was able to experiment with
new ingredients when making this recipe! It was fun to use new ingredients and experiment with exciting flavour profiles.
The beef in this recipe is
tender and full of such delicious flavors. Yous are going to love eating this dish at dwelling!
What Do I Demand to Brand this Recipe?
Here is a visual overview of the ingredients in the recipe. Gyre down to the recipe at the lesser for quantities.
Employ stale chilies that you tin cutting open and have the seeds removed. I like to soak the chiles in hot h2o and so that the flesh can soften and grind up hands. You can purchase these chilies online here.
Bird’s Eye Chilies:
Some proficient alternatives are Red Thai Chilies and Cayenne peppers.
Galangal root looks like ginger, and tastes vaguely citrus-y. The cadre of mine was very tough then I cut it out. You tin buy this at a local Asian grocery shop.
You tin as well employ fresh turmeric root if you lot’d prefer. Some Beef Rendang recipes fifty-fifty call for turmeric leaves.
Lemongrass is a groovy aromatic that will add a lot of season to your dish. If you are using fresh lemongrass stalks, follow these instructions
on how to properly clean and use the ingredient.
Yous can employ any kind of tender beef. I chose to use beefiness chuck, but short ribs are also a popular option.
Attempt using high quality coconut milk. If the kokosnoot foam has separated from the coconut water in the can, alloy it together well and use both.
You tin can supersede this with palm sugar or dark-brown sugar if you cannot find coconut sugar.
If you lot cannot find tamarind paste, you can besides combine tamarind pulp with water to get the same effect. You tin buy Tamarind Paste online
or at your local Asian market.
Kaffir Lime Leaves:
Kaffir lime leaves are used frequently in Thai and Indonesian cooking, equally they evangelize a strong Lime taste. These can be difficult to find in stores, but yous can buy them online
easily. If you lot cannot discover them, you can also use lime zest + lime juice to replace the flavor.
Kerisik is a paste fabricated of ground upwards, toasted coconut. It is difficult to find in stores and online while in America, and so you lot will likely demand to make it yourself. To practise then, you will need i cup of ground up coconut. If using fresh coconut, that is the only ingredient y’all will need. If using pre-packaged shredded (unsweetened) coconut, y’all will also demand a few teaspoons of coconut oil.
To make the spice alloy
Large Dutch Oven:
With a hat
To toast the coconut if making the kerisik from scratch
How to Make this Recipe
Step i: Brand and Melt the Spice Paste
In a nutrient processor, combine the paste ingredients. Blend them up until a paste forms.
Add the coconut oil into a dutch oven and allow it to melt.
Once the oil heats up, add the stalks of lemongrass to the oil as well every bit the spice paste.
Add together the cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Stir until the paste dries out.
Step two: Sear the Beefiness
Add the beef into the pot with the paste. Saute the meat in the paste for v-7 minutes until the outsides showtime to dark-brown.
Add together the kokosnoot milk into the dutch oven and mix well, scraping upwardly any browned spots on the bottom of the pan.
So add together the salt, coconut saccharide, tamarind paste, and kaffir lime leaves.
Step 3: Dull Cook
Add the lid onto the pot and turn to low heat. Get out the stew to cook for 2 hours with the chapeau on, stirring every xv minutes.
Afterwards 2 hours, remove the hat and let to cook for some other 30-twoscore minutes with the lid off, notwithstanding stirring every 15 minutes.
After xxx minutes of cooking with the lid off, add the kerisik into the pot and mix well. Keep cooking for about thirty minutes until at that place is not much liquid left and the beef appears dry and is a night brownish color.
Serve and enjoy!
How to Make Kerisik
If you demand to make Kerisik from scratch, follow these unproblematic instructions:
- Add the kokosnoot to an ungreased pan and stir over medium heat until all of the coconut is a deep, toasty brown (toast it quite a lot but make sure to take if off the burner earlier the coconut burns)
- Add the kokosnoot shavings into a mortar and pestle
and grind it up until a smooth paste forms.
- If you are using pre-packaged kokosnoot, you may need to add together kokosnoot oil into the coconut nearly the end of the grinding process. This will turn your kersisk from coconut crumbles into a cohesive paste.
- Depending on the type of beef, coconut milk, or Kerisik, your Beef Rendang can get pretty oily. If the liquid has been captivated but the oil separates from the dish, feel free to skim the oil off the top of the pot.
- Candlenuts are as well used in this recipe (blended into the spice alloy) merely I could not find them. If y’all are using candlenuts, exist careful during preparation. They are toxic if eaten raw.
- Brand sure to option out the whole spices and aromatics (lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves) earlier serving to ensure safe consumption.
- Recipe researched using resources from Pailin’due south Kitchen, Naz it Up, Recipes are Simple, and the Culinary Institute of America (video featuring Indonesian chef).
- This recipe can also be fabricated using chicken for a craven rendang recipe! This version does not need to slow cook for a long time just it is also not every bit tender.
Serve your Beef Rendang with white rice on the side. You can also serve information technology with cucumbers for some extra freshness!
You lot can go on the Beef Rendang in an airtight container in the fridge for upward to v days. You tin too freeze it in an airtight container where information technology will stay good for several months.
Is Beef Rendang Indonesian or Malaysian?
Beef Rendang originated in the West Sumatra region of Republic of indonesia, just it has spread to many of its neighboring countries. It is also popular in Malaysia now, but Republic of indonesia is its place of origin.
Can this Recipe Exist Fabricated in a Dull Cooker or Pressure Cooker?
At that place are some Beefiness Rendang recipes that telephone call for using a Slow Cooker. These recipes call for cooking the meat on high for half-dozen hours. Make certain to cleft the lid for the last few hours so that the liquid tin evaporate.
Check out this recipe
for Instant Pot instructions.
Did yous relish this Authentic Beef Rendang Recipe from Indonesia? If and then, make sure to check out these other recipes I picked out just for y’all:
- Nasi Goreng
- High german Beef Rouladen and Gravy
- Seswaa from Botswana
- Beefiness Bourguignon from France
- Beef Bibimbap Recipe
- Ghormeh Sabzi
If y’all make this recipe at dwelling, exit a review/comment on this post letting us know what you thought!
And don’t forget to share a photo of your finished product on Facebook
and tag @TheForeignFork and hashtag #TheForeignFork.
Large Dutch Oven
Dried Guajillo Chiles,
soaked in water
red bird’southward middle chilies,
reddish Thai peppers, deseeded (or more if you like a spicier back-scratch)
sliced into rounds
sliced into rounds
can besides utilise beef short ribs, cut into cubes
xv oz cans Coconut milk
traditional is shaved palm sugar
soaked in 2 tbsp of hot water to make tamarind paste
Kaffir lime leaves
or 1 cup shaved coconut to make it yourself
In a nutrient processor, combine the paste ingredients. Blend them upward until a paste forms.
¼ cup kokosnoot oil
into a dutch oven and permit it to melt.
In one case the oil heats upward, add the
stalks of lemongrass
to the oil too every bit the
spice paste (in step 1).
5-6 cardamom pods,
a star anise,
3 cinnamon sticks, and
8 cloves. Stir until the paste dries out.
Add together the
iii lbs beef
into the pot with the paste. Saute the meat in the paste for five-seven minutes until the outsides start to brown.
2 (15 oz cans) coconut milk
into the dutch oven and mix well, scraping up any browned spots on the bottom of the pan
1 tsp common salt,
1 ½ tbsp coconut sugar,
1 tbsp tamarind paste, and
5 kaffir lime leaves.
Add the lid onto the pot and turn to low heat. Go out the stew to cook for two hours with the hat on, stirring every 15 minutes.
After 2 hours, remove the lid and allow to cook for another 30-40 minutes with the chapeau off, all the same stirring every 15 minutes.
Afterwards 30 minutes of cooking with the lid off, add
⅓ loving cup kerisik
into the pot and mix well. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes until there is not much liquid left and the beef appears dry and is a dark brown color.
Serve and bask!
Recipe Copyright The Strange Fork. For educational or personal use only.
- Depending on the type of beefiness, kokosnoot milk, or Kerisik, your Beef Rendang tin can get pretty oily. If the liquid has been absorbed just the oil separates from the dish, feel free to skim the oil off the top of the pot.
- Candlenuts are also used in this recipe (blended into the spice alloy) but I could not observe them. If you are using candlenuts, be conscientious during preparation. They are toxic if eaten raw.
- Make sure to selection out the whole spices and aromatics (lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves) earlier serving to ensure safe consumption.
- Recipe researched using resources from Pailin’s Kitchen, Naz it Up, Recipes are Simple, and the Culinary Institute of America
(video featuring Indonesian chef).
- This recipe tin also be made using chicken for a chicken rendang recipe! This version does not need to tedious melt for a long time just information technology is also non as tender.
- Guajillo Chilies: Use dried chilies that you lot tin cut open and have the seeds removed. I similar to soak the chiles in hot h2o and then that the mankind can soften and grind up easily. Yous tin purchase these chilies online hither.
- Bird’s Eye Chilies: Some skilful alternatives are Red Thai Chilies and Cayenne peppers.
- Galangal Root: Galangal root looks like ginger, and tastes vaguely citrus-y. The core of mine was very tough and so I cut it out. You tin purchase this at a local Asian grocery store.
- Turmeric Pulverisation: Yous tin can also use fresh turmeric root if yous’d prefer. Some Beef Rendang recipes even telephone call for turmeric leaves.
- Lemongrass: Lemongrass is a great aromatic that volition add a lot of flavor to your dish. If you are using fresh lemongrass stalks, follow these instructions on how to properly clean and utilize the ingredient.
- Beefiness: You lot tin can utilise any kind of tender beef. I chose to use beef chuck, but brusque ribs are too a popular choice.
- Kokosnoot Milk: Attempt using high quality kokosnoot milk. If the coconut cream has separated from the kokosnoot water in the can, blend it together well and use both.
- Coconut Sugar: You can supersede this with palm saccharide or brown saccharide if yous cannot find kokosnoot sugar.
- Tamarind Paste: If you lot cannot find tamarind paste, you tin too combine tamarind lurid with water to get the same effect. You can buy Tamarind Paste online or at your local Asian market.
- Kaffir Lime Leaves: Kaffir lime leaves are used oft in Thai and Indonesian cooking, as they deliver a strong Lime sense of taste. These can exist difficult to find in stores, simply you can purchase them online easily. If you cannot observe them, you can also use lime zest + lime juice to supersede the flavor.
- Kerisik: Kerisik is a paste fabricated of ground up, toasted kokosnoot. It is hard to detect in stores and online while in America, and then yous will probable demand to make it yourself. To do then, yous will need 1 cup of ground up coconut. If using fresh kokosnoot, that is the only ingredient you volition need. If using pre-packaged shredded (unsweetened) kokosnoot, you will also need a few teaspoons of coconut oil.
How to Make Kerisik
If you lot need to make Kerisik from scratch, follow these elementary instructions:
- Add the coconut to an ungreased pan and stir over medium estrus until all of the coconut is a deep, toasty brown (toast it quite a lot only brand sure to take if off the burner earlier the kokosnoot burns)
Add the coconut shavings into a
mortar and pestle
and grind information technology up until a smooth paste forms.
- If you are using pre-packaged kokosnoot, you may need to add together kokosnoot oil into the coconut near the end of the grinding procedure. This will turn your kersisk from coconut crumbles into a cohesive paste.